Have I been reading?

You bet!

Here's a (not so) brief post about what I've been reading in the last 4 days.

Tithe: a modern faerie tale by Holly Black.

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms — a struggle that could very well mean her death.

Good plot, dialogues sound real, funny at times, gothic, a tough leading female character, interesting topics adressed. Must reread. In my humble opinion, far far better than Twilight.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.

How could I possibly attempt a review of this novel? What words could I say that would explain it thoroughly and definitely? No, I have no words yet. All I have is gratitude. Thank you so very much Heather for making me pick up this novel!

Maybe, just maybe, the following excerpt can shed a little light on what this novel made me feel.

With a sudden enthusiastic gesture Calvin flung his arms out wide, as though he were embracing Meg and her mother, the whole house. "How did all this happen? Isn't it wonderful? I feel as though I were just being born! I'm not alone any more! Do you realize what that means to me?"


Pobby and Dingan by Ben Rice.

I was wondering how I could move on from L'Engle's story into something else. That's how I picked Ben Rice's Pobby and Dingan. It's the kind of book you hold in your hands and is almost as light as a feather. You read the blurb and yes, it sounds interesting. So you decide to give it a try. What harm could it do?

The Williamsons live in a small Australian town. Rex Williamson, the father, works in a mine looking for opals. Kellyanne, the little girl, has a couple of imaginary friends (Pobby and Dingan) and suffers all the typical problems this special kind of friendship usually brings. Ashmol Williamson, our young narrator, has such a powerful voice and strong personality that can't fail at catching your attention from the beginning. Then things get complicated. Kellyanne's friends disappear and she begins to wither away. Ashmol has got to do something, even if it means condoning her sister's immature imagination. He has to believe in the existence of her sister's friends and make others believe as well.

I admit I didn't expect this but, this is such a powerful, touching novel that it will bring joy to your heart and -most likely- a tear to your eye.

6 Comments:

  1. Heather said...
    A wrinkle in time was awesome wasn't it?? I are you going to come over to Our Coffee Rings at the end of January and discuss it with us??

    Heather
    www.thelibraryladder.blogspot.com
    Lover of Books said...
    I loved Wrinkle in Time and I found the other two at my library. I hope to read them sometime. :)
    bookish lore said...
    Heather, Sure! I'd love to!

    Lover of Books, I hope you do, and I hope you like them :)
    Anonymous said...
    A Wrinkle in Time was always one of my favourites growing up, and still holds a soft spot. There's a long series based on the family, but that one and A Swiftly Tilting Planet were my favourites.

    And oh, there are some phrases that are positively wonderful - "Wild nights are my glory"!
    bookish lore said...
    Hi Court. Glad you stopped by! I'm definitely going to reread this book. Oh, and I might give it try to A Swiftly Tilting Planet :)
    Lover of Books said...
    I am just starting Tithe and I am really liking it. :)

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home