Winter Classics Challenge

March already! Summer's ending and so is my summer break. My first literary challenge is also over and, even if I didn't pass it with flying colours, I have accomplished something. Thanks to booklogged I've rediscovered a taste that was temporarily quiescent or somewhat lessened due to the power of attraction that contemporary fiction holds. After all, it all started with the classics. Dickens, Austen, Melville (among many more) remain the unshakable foundation of this literary passion. Now, because of this challenge, I have the following to add:

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (a joy to read)
The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers (a pleasant challenge)
Candide by Voltaire (a discovery)
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (a starting point that demads further reading)

I'm currently reading Dickens' Bleak House (which was part of the WCC and is also part of the Chunkster Challenge) and Shakespeare's Hamlet (rereading it for the nth time), so I'm still in the mood for more classics. The Return of the King will have to wait until next week, though.

I'll be waiting eagerly for the next, and in the meantime I'll be enjoying more classics and plunging into more challenges than I can possibly handle; but, hey, I'm just too weak when it comes to books.

9 Comments:

  1. 1morechapter said...
    Congrats on finishing the Classics Challenge.

    I was blown away by Conrad's writing. I will definitely read more of his works.
    Booklogged said...
    Sounds to me like flying colors.
    bookish lore said...
    3M & Booklogged, thanks! This challenge's been such a wonderful experience, I can hardly wait for the next.
    Heather said...
    Congratulations!!! I'm so glad you liked the Lord of the Rings books!
    bookish lore said...
    Thanks Heather! I'll be a Tolkien fan for ever. I'm wearing my Gondor T-shirt. (lots of geeky smiles)
    nessie said...
    Congrats! Looks like you had almost finished on time. This was my first challenge as well...

    LofR are the best of best. Cant wait to read your review on book 3
    nessie said...
    ps: we are both reading possesions for tbr though myself its for May... will be coming back to check up on ya and what you thoughts are
    bookish lore said...
    Hey Nessie! Thanks, I really enjoyed everyone of them and LOTR was a joy to read. Someday I'll finish the Unfinished Tales of Numenor as well. (the irony of this sentence!)
    Oh and I can't wait to read Possession, I've been meaning to pick it up for a while.
    Bookfool said...
    Summer is ending? You must be on the other side of the world. Summer has just socked us a good one. It's getting hot and very humid. Blecch. I love winter. :)

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home