I'm in!

So, it's official. I've just joined my first challenge. I'm thrilled!


I'm still not sure if the following will be the only books I'll read. It all depends on how insane school turns out to be next year. But here they are:

Bleak House by Charles Dickens ( p 808)

The truth is it's been lying dejectedly on a dusty shelf for who knows how long. I'm truly, deeply ashamed, since it was Dickens' Tale of Two Cities that started my passion for both the English language and English literature.


Bomarzo by Manuel Mujica Lainez ( p 680)

There's a sad (for me at least) story about this book. You must realize that I'm a hopeless case when it comes to books. The world goes to a standstill when I hear someone mention the word book or reading (I even strained my neck to try to catch the title of a book someone's reading on a film! Yes, institutionalize me, please) Anyway, I was once in this classroom and the teacher was talking to a student while the rest of the class was supposed to be doing something else. I was daydreaming or something until the magic words caught my attention. She couldn't believe this boy was reading Bomarzo. I looked up, he looked at me and flashed the loveliest of smiles. He kept doing that for several days (smiling at me, that is) and gosh! he even tried to talk to me. I could see it but (oh silly, pathetic girl) never really understood what he wanted until it was too late. I never saw him again. So all that remains from that boy is the book he was reading. Silly, isn't it?. Yet, to honour that memory I'm going to read this book.


Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
by Susanna Clarke ( p 800)

I've been meaning to read this one for far too long.

3 Comments:

  1. nessie said...
    Ok first I just finished Christmas Carol so come on by and tell me what you thought on my post.

    Also, am reading Jonathan Strange. I think that is the biiiigggg chunkster choice all around. As I Have said elsewhere, we'll exchange notes.
    bookish lore said...
    Thanks for stopping by! I'll be checking your post really soon.
    Booklogged said...
    Enjoyed your story about Bomarzo. I've never heard of the book, so I look forward to your comments after you read it. Strange and Norrell is one of those books I've been wanting to read, too. I overlooked it when I made up my chunksters list. NEED MORE TIME!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home