On Vampires and Magic

I guess the YA mood still lingers and I am thankful for it. It's helping me a lot to go through this last leg of the 2006 trip. So, here's what I've been reading.

Twilight was a rereading. The first time it was quite a ride. I never thought I could actually enjoy reading about vampires. But hey, who can say no to a character like Edward Cullen? Maybe I was in the mood for a love story or maybe there was something in it that called some dark feeling lying hidden in my subconscious (creepy, isn't?). Whatever it was, it was something that kept me from being objective.
When I finished it the second time, I realized the feeling was still there but subdued. I was ready and willing for New Moon. Now, I must agree with those who claimed it wasn't as good as Twilight. Edward Cullen's absence is bearable because of the presence of Jacob Balck. This character can really ease any pain. So, even though the plot was fairly predictable, with no interesting twists, it was nonetheless appealing. However, I must confess I was almost about to put it down when Bella said she was "riddled through like Swiss cheese" when talking about her pain. I have nothing against cheese, I just don't like cheesy remarks. (Was I harsh? I hope not)

A Red Heart of Memories. I keep wondering how this book ended up in my TBR stack. This is so me. I pick up a book, greedy and eager to read it, but in reality I'm still halfway through another and then I forget why I got the new one. It hardly matters now. It was... oh... intoxicating and hypnotic. I felt plunged into the story, into the characters (though a little confused at first). But then one warms into them and their worries; and the fact that magic permeates everything eases one's way into it. After all, if you accept the possibility of magic, of holding conversations with man-made things, you must accept the somewhat thin plot.




3 Comments:

  1. Booklogged said...
    I am not in to vampire books either, but this year I've read Dracula by Brom Stoker, Twilight, and am now reading The Rest Falls Away by Colleeen Gleason. I liked Twilight quite a bit, but don't think I'll go on reading the series.

    Red Heart of Memories sounds like one I need to add to my llist.
    Andi said...
    I looooved Twilight! I read it at Heather's (High & Hidden Place) recommendation. I finished it, immediately dove into New Moon, and loved both. All 1000 or so pages in 3 days! That was a record. :)

    If you ever get in the mood for more vampire fiction, L.J. Smith's Vampire Diaries (also YA fiction) are quite similar. They're favorites of mine from childhood.
    bookish lore said...
    Thank you guys for stopping by! Booklogged you're just too kind!Thank you so very much for taking your time and reading my silly ramblings. Thank you too, Andi. Glad you liked Twilight. I also learned about it through Heather and by the way I've just picked up L. J Smith #1 from the library. God knows when I'll be able to read it, but I want it close. Greedy me.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home