Literary Hangover

I'm feeling positive, gutsy and cheery. Yep, it has got to be the result of my literary hangover. I've just been browsing through my reading list, your 2006 reads, and the ever growing pile of books to be read.


2006 was the year in which I started this tiny blog; and I truly hope that 2007 is the year in which I finally manage to handle it succesfully (unfortunately, computers are naturally immune to my commands).

So, what's left from last year. Yes, I remember my first read was Albert Camus' The Plague. I really loved this novel, couldn't put it down. But, it'll be committed to memory not just because of the story, but because I read it during the worst heat wave last summer. BAD COMBINATION, mark my words.

Later on, I learned The Importance of being Earnest; I sailed down the Thames with Three Men in a Boat (not to mention the "marvellous" dog), I time travelled with Henry and Clare in the Time Traveller's Wife; I survived with Pi and befriended Richard Parker in their boat; I accompanied Lyra in her quest and suffered greatly with her in Pullman's His Dark Materials; I was tenderly lulled by Silk; I felt deeply for Kathy and her friends in Never Let me Go; I rediscovered my favourite bookseller hidden in 84 Charing Cross Road. And that's just some of the journeys I went through last year.


Book with Wings - Anselm Kiefer

By the end of the year I was positively exhausted and my mind was begging for some light reading. That's when I decided to go through children and YA literature. That was highly patronizing of me. Those books gave me all the peace I needed, but they were nonetheless pleasently challenging, and most of them will stick to my heart for as long as I live.

The Princess Bride, The Phantom Tollbooth and Stardust will be cherished and reread till their pages turn to dust between my fingers and their ink turns an inseparable part of my blood.

Twilight, New Moon and the House series were ... mesmerizing. I still can't explain what was they all did to me but they got me, to me and at me.

What lies ahead is a mystery and I can hardly wait to see what happens.


5 Comments:

  1. Lover of Books said...
    I have yet to finish The Princess Bride. I should try that one again. I hope to read The Hobbit plus the Lord of the Rings series for my classics. :)
    bookish lore said...
    Hey! Thanks for stopping by! I'll be reading the LOTR for the Classics Challenge too. We'll see what comes out of that. :)
    Heather said...
    The Princess Bride is a favourite of mine! I really love the (bookish)images you include in your blog entries.

    Heather
    www.thelibraryladder.blogspot.com
    bookish lore said...
    Gee, thanks Heather. I do love bookish images and I'm always on the hunt for them.
    nessie said...
    that art show was in mtl this past summer. I adored the way he seemed to be idealizing & criticizing the written word.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home