Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder


One day fourteen-year-old Sophie Amundsen comes home from school to find in her mailbox two notes, with one question on each: "Who are you?" and "Where does the world come from?" From that irresistible beginning, Sophie becomes obsessed with questions that take her far beyond what she knows of her Norwegian village. Through those letters, she enrolls in a kind of correspondence course, covering Socrates to Sartre, with a mysterious philosopher, while receiving letters addressed to another girl. Who is Hilde? And why does her mail keep turning up? To unravel this riddle, Sophie must use the philosophy she is learning--but the truth turns out to be far more complicated than she could have imagined.

I've always been interested in philosophy but I've never been able to fully grasp it. So I thought that approaching it through fiction could help me to unravel some of its mysteries. It did a lot more than that.

This is one the most soul-searching books I've read in a while. I admit that I'm exhausted; but happily exhausted. It's been quite a ride. To go through centuries of human thought, to follow the different processes of thinking and understanding them is exhausting but rewarding. You get but the tiniest glimpses of human knowledge but those glimpses are so powerful and alluring that you can't help wanting to learn more.

This isn't a fully comprehensive book and it's been argued that it's occasionally undermined by dry language and by an idiosyncratic bias that gives one paragraph to Nietzsche but dozens to Sartre. Like I said before, this isn't a textbook; it's merely a start. It's supposed to arouse your curiosity not to satisfy it completely (to assume otherwise would be a sad contradiction). Gaarder just gives you the very basics of philosophy, with clear, concrete examples, and a mystery to unlock. Is there anything else you could wish for?

Now I finally feel a little bit more confident to tackle Russell's History of Western Philosophy. Eventually.

10 Comments:

  1. Lover of Books said...
    I'll have to keep this one in mind. I loved my Western Philosophy class. :)
    Anonymous said...
    I tried reading this book when I was a teen, but couldn't get into it. I think if I read it now, though, that I'd probably quite like it.
    Anonymous said...
    With 13 items checked out, 30 items on hold, and 50 items on my saved list at the library, I really didn't need to read about another intriguing book.

    Oh well. Now I have 31 books on hold.
    bookish lore said...
    Lover of Books, one of the reasons I decided to pick this book was because I have nothing but wonderful memories from my philosophy classes.

    Court, I know I wouldn't have been able to tackle this book as a teen. Give it a try but take it easy; it is overwhelming.

    Poodlerat, you crack me up! And yes, I totally get the feeling.
    kookie said...
    I totally loved this book. When I finally got to the part where we find out what Sophie's 'secret' is (you know, who she really is), I got so angry I put the book down and would not look at it for a month. I felt like I had been tricked! It's great to get that involved with a book.
    Milan-zzz said...
    Oh I hate my philosophy classes! And I mean HATE!!!
    I had such a bad professor (I’m convinced that she hate her philosophy classes too). Once she told that “Thus Spoke Zarathustra” has written Herman Hesse!?!?!? That should tell you all abut her skills!

    Anyhow I wasn’t interested in Sophie’s World but my girlfriend insisted so I took it and this is definitively one of the most original books I’ve read. I bought it for my friend and he was studying from there for his philosophy exam on the faculty!
    Great book indeed!
    bookish lore said...
    Hey kookiejar! I'm really glad you liked this book. I know what you mean, but I didn't get angry just mystified. What if something like that is happening to us? Spooky, isn't it?

    Milan, I can see why you hated your classes! lol and I wish I had had this book during mine. Everything would've been easier.
    Heather said...
    The cover of this book is beautiful!!
    lifelongreader said...
    This is my alltime fave book. It is absolutely amazing. Great to see that someone else likes it as well.

    I recommend it to everyone as it opens your mind. It is so well written, and deals with many very difficult ideas but in a way that YAs can understand and enjoy (IMO)

    Great review, Richard
    lifelongreader said...
    ^^ Sorry, forgot to remove the last line, oops

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home